Mental Health Screening (MAYSI-2) & Assessment
Screening for mental health needs on early contact with youth in juvenile justice settings has become standard practice nationwide—at intake in probation, detention centers, or juvenile corrections programs. Identifying young people’s needs—substance use, trauma-related problems, and suicide ideation—is important at that initial contact. It‘s the first step for identifying those who need immediate attention and further assessment for mental health needs.
NYSAP has the experience and expertise to assist you in selecting and putting in place a mental health screening procedure. We’ve been consulted by juvenile justice programs throughout the U.S. for 15 years. We know how to help you decide what’s best for you and the young people you work with.
The Massachusetts Youth Screening Instrument (MAYSI), currently is the most widely-used mental health screening tool in juvenile justice programs nationwide. (You can learn more about the MAYSI by using the links below.) But we know that program needs vary, and our main interest is in helping you select and implement methods that are best for your situation.
Dr. Thomas Grisso
The cost for our consultation services vary depending on the stage of development in your efforts to provide mental health screening. We can adjust our services according to your resources. Here are some of the consultation services we can help you with:
- Taking stock of what you want to want to know about your young people, and selecting a tool that can give you that information in a feasible and economic way;
- Creating buy-in by your supervisors and staff;
- Assisting to develop a policy-and-procedure document for your screening, assuring it will be administered effectively and that its results will be used as you intend;
- Training for staff who will be administering the mental health screening and deciding how to respond when results identify young people who need some response;
- Training for all staff who will be using the information the screening provides;
- Making sure that the quality of your screening doesn’t fade across time; and
- Analyzing the results of screening in your agency, to obtain a profile of the mental health needs of young people in your agency’s care.
For more information about our mental health screening consultation and training services, please contact us or complete and submit our request form. You will receive a response within one to two business days.
For more information on the MAYSI-2 and MAYSIWARE, please click on the links below.
||MAYSI-2 & MAYSIWARE FAQs